This is collectively all the points I’ve been trying to make for ages. I am a female with a degree that falls into “social sciences” because they lied and gave me huge lists of all the “careers” that degree could help me get that employers would like. I am now an admin assistant, JUST like it says. Because it was either this, or the Navy, that was all I really ended up “qualifying” for. And I DO have over 20k to pay back that WILL take me over 10 years and delay me in things like a house and/or kids because I make less than all of my male coworkers after paying the same amount of money for the same damn overpriced degree. I don’t want my future child to have to grow up and go through this system as it is now. It’s such a waste.
sad. so sad. makes me want to drop out and I’m already on the verge as is…
College sucks lol. Yet youre much worse off if u dont go.
Fucked if you do fucked if you don’t
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.
Not only was she the first female writer to make the Forbes billionaires list, she then became one of the very few people to take herself off that list by giving so much to charity that it actually made a dent in her fortune.
And she gets it. There aren’t enough generous billionaires in the world who remember where they came from, therefore private charity isn’t the ultimate (only) answer to poverty like some politicians would have us believe. We are all interconnected, we all need each other, in democratic countries we are part of the government, and so keeping needy people from falling into complete destitution and despair is an important and worthy role for government to take. It benefits all of us in the long run. And nobody who feels comfortable and secure now (fewer and fewer of those people around these days) has any guarantee they won’t need help themselves someday.
JK Rowling…reason numbers 2.7 billion why I adore this woman.
I literally teared up reading that. The fact that it’s so important for her to give back to her government, it shows how proud she is to be British.
Although The State of Communities of Color in the U.S. Economy study is fairly thorough, I can’t help but notice that there was a glaring absence (once again) of Native people.